I have been a huge bookworm and an avid reader ever since I can remember. I would read anything and everything. I would read my books then my sisters books, I would read the cereal box at breakfast, I would read the TV magazine from cover to cover and used to sneak the odd read of my Mum’s ‘Take a Break’.
I thought it would be nice to take a trip down memory lane and do a little timeline of the books I loved as I grew through my childhood, if you read any of these yourself give me a shout in the comments!
The Early Years – Enid Blyton
- Various Stories by Enid Blyton – For the first 7 years of my life, Enid Blyton was my favourite author. My Dad used to read The Adventures of Binkle and Flip to me and my sister at bedtime and we would be snuggled under the duvet together giggling our heads off. I was enthralled by the adventures of the Faraway Tree and The Wishing Chair and loved how all the toys came to life in The Naughty Amelia Jane books.These books were full of magic and adventures, a great introduction to the world of books in my opinion. As I got older, The Famous Five and The Secret 7 were the adventurous idols a young girl needed and Malory Towers made boarding school look so appealing! I had a huge collection of these books and I feel so sad that my Mum threw them away as I would love to still have them now to look back on. I have bought a few for Mollie in recent years but I don’t think they have aged well so she’s not that keen!
Age 7-10 Welcome to the world of reading!
Once I could read unsupported there was no stopping me! I would read everything and anything I could get my hands on. Some of my favourite book series at this point were:
- Animal Ark by Lucy Daniels – All had names like Bunnies in the Bathroom and Calf in the Cottage. They were based on a little girl whose parents ran a vet. Lots of fun animal adventures, I loved them although I’m not sure why since I’ve never been that keen on animals!
- My Best Fiend by Sheila Lavelle – Another book series here and a really funny one. Two girls who are meant to be best friends but one is always being mean and playing tricks on the other, looking back some were really cruel! These books had me laughing my little head off, I would love to reach read them as they were just so funny!
- The Queens Nose by Dick King-Smith – This book was so good it was made into a TV show! I had read the book first so then loved rushing home after school to watch the TV version which was just as good. It was basically about a girl who was given a magic 50p that granted wishes when you rubbed the Queen’s nose! Every kid’s dream right?
- The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy – Another great series of books that was made into a TV show though I don’t remember watching it so maybe I was a bit old by then? The books centre around the main character Mildred Hubble who was the worst witch (the clue was in the name guys!). Cue tons of mishaps and spells going wrong, tons of fun!
- The Demon Headmaster by Gillian Cross – A creepy headmaster that hypnotises you with his eyes, scary stuff! I read two of the books from the series and then again it was made into a TV show which I loved!
So that concludes part 1! In the second part I’ll look at the books that took me through my teenage years!
Do you remember any of these books? What books do you remember from your childhood?